what we do: support sobriety when the stakes are high
What is recovery mentoring? It's one-on-one support for individuals who are ready to grow into life after substance abuse. We use tactics from coaching, counseling and step-group sponsoring, but mentoring is more than the tactics. It's a relationship with a trained expert who has added tested techniques and skills to the lived experience of developing past the identity 'user' to a richer, fuller life.
Recovery mentoring uses some of the features you're familiar with from counseling, but it is not therapy or psychiatry. We'll help you to understand your feelings and motivations as they connect to your substance use--because the solutions we offer are customized, and you set the goals.
It's important to understand how different recovery mentoring is from 12-step and a sponsor. The stated goal for everyone who goes to AA/NA is abstinence for life; the process is meetings (oh my lots of meetings), supported by a sponsor helping the addict follow the steps. This is different: Together, using tested tools and methods, we'll develop your goals and work toward them.
Sounds promising. What exactly...?
A recovery mentor offers you:
- Support from a recovery coach--not an insurance-billed intervention that goes into your medical and employment records
- Individualized exercises and practices, matched to your life--not a set of cliches that 'work if you work [them]'
- A timeline for your progress, with a short-term (12 week) process as a standard--not a lifetime of meetings to rehash your past use
- Privacy for your problem and true confidentiality as you find your solutions to living a full, rich life--free from drinking AND talking about drinking
- Real-time, live accountability for your progress, at home: SoberLink lets you demonstrate to the world and yourself that you really ARE avoiding alcohol. Ask your mentor about this monitoring device!
Am I ready to stop meeting and start living?
That is a very wise question. Just as you wouldn't walk into a gym and ask to learn safe, effective weight-lifting techniques with a broken arm, our guidance can help you once you've been safely tapered from physical dependence, or 'dried out', by medical experts if they think that is appropriate. So talk to your doctor if you're still drinking.
Northstar Guides' services include recovery mentoring from certified coaches, intensive sobriety monitoring with data-driven tools, and courses for substance abusers to help them demonstrate their progress and build credibility.
Let's explore where we can go together.
If you're ready to discuss the options Northstar Guides offers,
contact us to schedule a discovery meeting.